Tuesday, January 03, 2006

A warm mug of liquid sleep.

Worst sleep of my life! I tried, around 2:30 this morning, to go to sleep. I had no plans of waking until about 10 am.

Trying to fend off an approaching coughy cold thing for fear it would ruin my birthday drink-a-thon, I took some theraflu.

Theraflu usually knocks my ass cold. I have no tolerance for the stuff. It's like a warm mug of liquid sleep.

However, the stuff I took last night was not what I expected. I woke up at 4 something, and fitfully slept again until 6. I tried to put myself to sleep again at 6, but after an hour or so of tossing and turning I gave the fuck up.

I don't feel tired. Or sick.

But it is 7 am and I haven't voluntarily seen this hour in quite a long time.

I am so restless; it's like I took speed instead of liquid sleep.

I just went and looked at the Theraflu box and under common side effects it lists typical things like "marked drowisness" and, at the opposite end of the spectrum, "excitability in children." There is also a notice printed in very large letters that one should not use Theraflu if the sealed package is open or torn.

That's common sense, right? Well, apparently, I've none of that.

As I shook the contents of this morning's Theraflu packet, little bits of sandy sleep capsules flew about my kitchen from a tiny tear in the bottom. Figuring that either I or one of my roommates had caused said tear in another bout of sickness and in urgent need of rest, I said, Whatever, and prepared my disgusting beverage anyway.

And now it is 7 am on my 21st and I have slept, collectively, between 3 and 4 hours. This is not the turnout I'd desired.

No comments: